View Single Post
Old 05-11-2015, 06:54 PM   #16
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I would say I'm more sad than I am elated. Sad not in the "sad that there will be no more Middle-earth films," but sad Jackson missed some great opportunities particularly in The Battle of Five Armies. I say I'm not really elated, because I've always been able to keep the books and movies separate. I get far more enjoyment out of reading books than I do watching films. My book genres are pretty much limited to fantasy, science-fiction, historical non-fiction, and Steven King's horror. I can basically enjoy any movie/tv genre other than romcoms. Although, my reasons for watching a film are quite different from reading a book. I want to get completely immersed into a book...movies are for when I'm the lazily multi-tasking. "I want to get cleaning done...alright pop in a movie I can sort of pay attention to, but don't have to give THAT much attention."

In my opinion, The Hobbit was a far more filmable story than the Lord of the Rings, but I'm left sad because somehow The Hobbit ended up being far worse films. The Hobbit has some great moments, when you're reading you think "this is just meant for film...even fitting for a blockbuster, mega-money Jackson film." The description of Beorn's arrival turning the tide in the battle, and rampaging through Bolg's guard. Or Fili and Kili's bodies laying dead next to Thorin's, as they were desperately defending their King's body. These could have been great film moments, for a director who wanted to ramp up the war sequences. Instead, what we get is just...not good. A bunch of cheesy, drawn out one on one fights, and a really bad "forbidden" love story.

Overall, The Hobbit films looked far too clean and polished, which made it look and feel fake. There was a grittiness and realness to The Fellowship of the Ring that slowly disappeared as more and more money was pumped into them. I mean, heck, there was so much green screen and CGI in The Hobbit movies that Ian McKellan literally had a break down crying on set about how this is not why he became an actor.