View Single Post
Old 08-28-2004, 02:23 PM   #278
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I enjoyed yet another BD summit in London last week! Squatter was there, an old aquaintance by now, since he's been at three get-togethers that I've attended. He's always a brilliant conversationalist and was an invaluable guide to the Tolkien sites and sights in Oxford. We were joined by the wonderful Bęthberry, whom I met for the first time and felt comfortable with immediately. The London meeting took place in Gordon's Wine Bar, where the guests sit in the cellar, enjoying their drinks by candlelight - a very evocative atmosphere! I could well imagine Sam down there, saying farewell to the beer barrel...

For our trip to Oxford, we were joined by Bęthberry's family. Squatter had prepared a long list of possible attractions, so that we had to choose which were our top priorities. We opted for a break at the Eagle and Child first, where he showed us his first editions of LotR and other great books he owns. A group of Spanish Tolkien fans talked to us, asking about the way to JRRT's grave. They are from the 'elfenomeno' website, a familiar name from back in the days where that site ranked high on the list of favorites. Interestingly, we met them again on the way to the cemetery, our next stop. There were a few other people who came to the grave while we were there as well.

We then went to the Botanical Gardens to see the Pinus nigra (black pine) tree beside which Tolkien posed for the last photograph taken of him in 1973. It's an amazing tree, huge and beautiful! Of course we had to pose for pictures there too.

Time only allowed for a walk past one of the houses in which the Tolkien family lived, and we finished off with dinner at the Mitre, which he also mentioned in several of his letters, before taking the train back to London.

It was a thoroughly interesting and enjoyable day; I can't imagine a better way to see Oxford than with those BD friends! (Though we missed those who couldn't be with us... )
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote