View Single Post
Old 04-16-2007, 03:00 PM   #730
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Elfthain had just time to say that he lived at Upbourn but was staying at his uncle's, but the sudden arrival of the pony and it's rider meant he had no time to explain that the duration of his stay was dependent on when his new cousin was born and how long his aunt would need the expert attention of his mother. He was not entirely sorry .... the women at the house seemed to forget that childbirth was not a topic of choice for a young boy even though he be the son of a skilled midwife and healer.

And besides he was astonished not so much by the news, which he scarce registered, as the messenger. He had never seen anyone look like Falco before but he had heard enough stories from his uncle and father to know that he was of the Holbytlan like Master Holdwine ...

Amazed and slightly bewildered he answered Lys a little wistfully, " I think you are right .... we will be in the way here" and falling into into step beside the other boy, noticed his limp for the first time. Elfthain realised that though Lys was surely older than him, he seemed a lot less strong ...frail almost. His curiosity was piqued but he remembered his mother saying something about how you could ask about good things but had to let people tell you their sorrows in their own time. So he confined himself to replying to Lys's question.

"I haven't eaten but I don't know if I have enough money" . He felt in his pocket and found a few coins of small value - change from an errand he had run to the market the previous day - and showed them to Lys doubtfully. "I didn't know that I would need any..... but maybe if it isn't enough they would let me get the money later from my uncle Elwin? They might know him". This was quite likely since Elwin was an officer of the King's guard but Elfthain was certain that to elaborate would count as showing off. "Maybe they won't have time to serve food with all this going on... do you know more about what is happening ?"

Last edited by Mithalwen; 04-16-2007 at 03:07 PM.