View Single Post
Old 04-19-2007, 03:09 PM   #744
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Falco went into the mead hall, passing two lads he barely knew on the way to the kitchen, and demanded an ale from the cook.

"Get it yourself you ungrateful hobbit!" cried Frodides. Her reaction seemed well out of proportion to his words, but that was what it was. Falco shrugged his shoulders, pulled an ale mug off a shelf, then helped himself to a pint from his favorite cask. He took a few minutes to slug it down, during which time he heard the distant rumble of a little more than a half dozen horses departing from the mead hall courtyard. He swallowed the last of his ale, plopped the mug down on the counter, and walked toward the stable.

There he found Javan kicking at straw, scuffing his feet, his hands thumbed into his trousers waist, looking put out.

"Javan!" cried Falco. The boy looked up, and when he recognized him his brows lowered in mild suspicion. "Look here lad, I have need of a pony and you want adventure. Let's help each other out." The boy was about to raise a protest but Falco raised his hand. "I will not be going to the ruin; leastways, not directly. I'm going to Meduseld to give warning there, and to see if they will lend a small company. I've no notion why Thornden didn't think of doing it, but he didn't, and it ought to be done. Will you help me? We can ride together."