View Single Post
Old 02-06-2003, 09:45 PM   #24
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

**sigh**

If only it were that simple. While I will look forward to seeing many educated responses to this thread, it makes me apprehensive. Religious overtones may be found if that is what one is looking for. But your proposal of some grand scheme of Christian metaphor needs more than a little fleshing out to be convincing.
Quote:
The different people of Middle-Earth relate to different people in our earth. Christians are represented by the elves
Please go further. What are Dwarves, Hobbits and Men? Hindus, Buddhists and Islamics? Are the Woses Native Americans? Are you sure Satan is Sauron and not Morgoth?

Why does the Ring represent sin? Do not others without the Ring suffer from temptation, pride, prejudice, greed? After destruction of the Ring (Sin) and Sauron (Satan) why does injustice continue? How can Elves (Christians) bring hobbits (non-Christians) to Valinor? Etc... etc...

Quote:
I am aware that J.R.R. Tolkein disliked allegory and metaphor, but he did write his books around the Bible and Christianity etc. This is what he intended to do in his books
You are contradicting yourself here, and I know you know that, so why do it? Just 'sticking to your guns' does not make it valid. I wholeheartedly encourage to dig deeper, I would not be dissapointed in any way if you made a conclusive argument. You just need to go further if you expect to convince anybody of your argument. Excepting, of course, those that are already in your camp, which will no doubt help you in your cause. I hold my spirituality the number one priority in my life and am not 'challenging' you based on yours, just your assertions.