View Single Post
Old 05-03-2010, 01:50 AM   #1
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Palantir-Green "Where is this from?" - Quote-search

Maybe you know the feeling when you remember almost perfectly clearly some quote from the books, but you just cannot remember where exactly it is from. We have several games in the Quiz Room based upon this idea, but this thread is, I would like to point out, not supposed to serve as "cheating board" for such occasions. Rather, I would like it to become a place where people can ask fellow 'Downers for help in looking for some quote.

This idea came to me after I have been thinking about a particular quote for some time, and yet cannot remember where have I seen it and all the places I have checked seemed to fail me. Being so frustrated, I assumed that some of the 'Downers might know, but I did not feel like starting a thread just because of one quote. So I have decided to make a general "Q&A" thread where people can continue to ask their own questions, if they encounter a similar problem like the one I had.

So, to start - my problem is rather simple. Somewhere, Tolkien says something along the lines that "Middle-Earth was indeed supposed to be a depiction of our own world in some ancient age". If you know what it is and what I mean, could, please, somebody refer to me where this is from? (For that matter, it is enough for me if it is something similar, roughly along these lines, but having the same meaning - I think it's likely that Tolkien said similar thing several times in different places, but I think there is this one which is in some "obvious" place - only I cannot seem to be able to find where.)

Can any fellow 'Downer help me out?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote