View Single Post
Old 12-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #25
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Give Tauriel a chance. After all, she and Legolas are the best characters in the film. (Says someone who generally loves dwarves through and through and utterly disliked Legolas in LOTR.)
I didn't understand all the outrage of the idea of a new female character in the films. I just didn't know what people were arguing...

Was it, there are no female elves in Mirkwood? That's a rather silly argument.

Or Tauriel isn't in the Hobbit, therefore she isn't Tolkien and doesn't belong in a film called The Hobbit? Ok, that makes more sense...Maybe I'm the big meanie here, but if someone wants Tolkien stories, I've heard the man wrote a ton. It's like folks enjoy making themselves miserable when going to see something they know they're completely against.

Onto the Dwarves, I don't think it bodes well when reknown dwarf-lover Agan says the dwarves not done well.

In preparation for going to see Desolation of Smaug tonight I popped in An Unexpected Journey again...and well I rather enjoyed it. The FOTR prologue set up that movie much better than TH prologue set up these films. But I seriously was laughing more, when Bilbo was talking about Lobelia making off with all his spoons. And then the "flashback" 60 years earlier with Gandalf's arrival and the story goes from there. It was interesting and enjoyable up until Azog and hunting Thorin is introduced...and Radagast randomly popping up to do a terrible job of leading the wargs away. I was wondering if he was going in circles. Then it got better for a bit in Rivendell (I liked TH Elrond much better than LOTR Elrond). Goblin-town was somewhat painful, the escape and all I mean let's watch dwarves run for 10 minutes and slice up goblins, no thanks. Luckily Bilbo's and Gollum's scene was truly a gem. The Thorin-Azog battle at the end was maybe one of the worst things I've seen in a movie (I thought they couldn't get any cheesier than Sam's REAAAACH! in ROTK, but I was wrong). But it ended nicely with the long distance shot of Erebor.

If it hadn't been for the Azog storyline and that ridiculous concocted fight at the end I think I would have legit enjoyed the entire film. I seriously didn't appreciate Martin's performance enough because I had real teary eyes at different points (which is actually more than what TTT was ever able to do). When Bilbo escapes Gollum, rejoins the dwarves and explains why he came back...whether it was the actual script or just the way Martin delivered talking about having a home but the dwarves had their home taken, I was teary. That was a beautiful moment.

I'm nervous now though, because I was hoping for some gradual and deeper developments into all the dwarves characters...and it sounds like this next movie doesn't do that as the dwarves get tossed? An Unexpected Journey I left thinking they did a great job with Bofur and Balin. Even if I wished he looked more like a dwarf, I liked the use of Fili as comic relief (and I was chuckling, "Who you calling diseased!? I'm not diseased! *Thorin kicks Fili* "Oh I am full of diseases! I can't tell you how many diseases I have!", which again is something that Gimli was rarely able to do in the LOTR films).

*Ignored Lommy's post until afterwards. Nothing agianst you Lommy, but I'm staying away from all spoilers for this one. I didn't do that for An Unexpected Journey, and while it wrapped my head around the realization these films were not going to be about Tolkien's The Hobbit, I was rather bored knowing generally what I was going to see. I don't want that feeling again...whether good or completely bebothered by it, I want to walk into the theaters completely ignorant. *

Last edited by Boromir88; 12-12-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote