View Single Post
Old 06-14-2007, 05:04 AM   #188
Raynor
Eagle of the Star

Raynor has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė
If you choose to believe the Author is an outmoded
I don't. I believe in cherishing the work and its author, esspecially in this case.
Quote:
From reading your past posts, you do seem to come down on the side of the Author - you like the Letters, you like to try to find out what Tolkein meant and get quite annoyed when people make 'subjective statements' - however this does not and cannot co-exist with the idea that Tolkien's work is also free to use as you want.
I believe that many readers, if not most, are capable of discussing about Tolkien's work, give it its due, and at the same appreciate a new work on this universe, if it is worth it.
Quote:
It's time to draw sides
To paraphrase captain Barbossa, I feel disinclined to aquiesce your request . Honestly, I don't know enough about this theory, and I am content with my own thoughts, as unstructured as they are. But perhaps the rest of my presented ideas can help you decide.
Quote:
theories inevitably are [abandoned]- they cannot resist change as nothing can - which is why it's a good idea not to be too wedded to them
Then why insist on a perennial, objective theory about what should or should not be allowed?