View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 07:34 PM   #14
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Because sometimes Frodo resembles a girl more than Arwen does.
Let's differentiate between looks and mannerisms (and stereotypes). As someone stated earlier, I don't think that we'd consider Xena 'manly' just because she fights instead of waiting around to be rescued.

The issue with Frodo's mannerisms is that he doesn't seem to be or to want to be in charge of the situation. This behavior isn't to me masculine or feminine, but annoying.

Sure, he takes action when at the Council he accepts the burden of the Ring. But before and after that, he doesn't seem to be ratcheting up his will or resolve.

Guess what I'm looking for is a Frodo that's gonna go down swinging, whether he's falling from a horse at the Ford or fighting Gollum in Mordor.

Wasn't there a line from Sam about Gollum mistaking Frodo for being soft just because he's not pistol-whipping Gollum like Faramir?

Another thought: remember the scene in the Tower of Cirith Ungol? When Sam finally finds Frodo, and Frodo makes Sam aware that the quest had failed as he no longer had the Ring. I don't get the feeling that Frodo was considering a plan to get the Ring back, or to take out a few Morgul rats before being captured...no, he seems defeated and about to whine.