Thread: Password
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2019, 03:34 AM   #7640
Huinesoron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Huinesoron is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Okay. We know that E is a descriptive phrase, though what word includes 'RUTH' I have no idea (other than ruthless and Aranruth). The other three, though, are probably personal names.

Here's a list of all the named animals Tolkien Gateway can easily provide, which include at least one of S and T.

Quote:
Asfaloth
Carcharoth
Firefoot
Gorgumoth
Hasufel
Shadowfax
Sharp-ears
Shelob
Snowmane
Strider
Stybba
Swish-tail
Tevildo
Thorondor
Ungoliant
White-socks
Wise-nose
The obvious go-to for the 'she' clue is SHELOB, and sure enough, she turns out to be a bushel with the U changed for an O.

The only 'unwilling' word that seems at all possible to fit unscrambled into a word is loath. ASFALOTH consists of the shop Asda, with a D>F shift, plus the archaic spelling LOTH.

The set of S names remaining looks like this:

Quote:
Hasufel
Shadowfax
Sharp-ears
Snowmane
Strider
Stybba
Swish-tail
White-socks
Wise-nose
... which are all horses. I don't think Pervinca would duplicate a species, so my guess is that the S clue is one that didn't make it onto my list. It's clearly a longish name, since it's an anagram of three words.
  • 'Claw' could be talon; spur is a possible too.
  • 'Nun's cap' is probably either habit or (apparently) coif.
  • 'Sedentary' suggests still, or perhaps idle.

(No combination of those appears on the horsey list, of course.)

Coming back now to what seems to be 'badger-folk's ???ruth???', that might be part of truth, but the logical word there would be 'untruth', which a) doesn't point at anything and b) requires an insect known as the unt (archaic plural of ant??? But you said it wasn't ants). The list of words starting with 'ruth' is delightfully chemical - it includes both ruthenium and rutherfordium, as well as the charming adjective ruthenic - but despite how much I would enjoy 'Tom Bombadil versus the Badger Alchemists', I don't think Tolkien ever wrote it.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote