Thread: Outrage?
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2006, 08:39 AM   #177
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LmP
So Lothlorien is part of the Machine? I can see how this can be so in principle, but there seems to be so much Art in this particular Machine that it minimizes (not the alteration but) the 'evil'. Perhaps this is best understood on a continuum.
I suppose we can think in terms of two Lothloriens (Lothlorii?). The one we enter in LotR is a (hyper)natural place, Faerie itself. It is not, as it later becomes a 'faux Valinor' (was that Child's or Lyta's term?). In LotR we follow the Company into Faerie, & see it especially through Frodo's eyes, as though seeing colours & experiencing trees for the first time - it is another reality, but an entirely natural one (ie not a false construct, a 'deceit'). It is living Art .

Its only later that Tolkien presents us with the story of Galadriel & Celebrimbor & her deisre to rule a land where there is no death. It is at this point that Lorien becomes in part a manifestation of the Machine, & Galadriel herself a manipulator of reality (ie of the primary world) through the power of Nenya. This is Art 'embalmed' & thus not truly alive. I'm drawn to the former Lorien, but almost repelled by the latter - it makes me feel like I'm being duped.....
davem is offline   Reply With Quote