Thread: Outrage?
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2006, 11:16 AM   #195
drigel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

drigel has just left Hobbiton.
LMP well put. I wasnt implying that see saw all, merely the inevitable Defeat, and pre-Frodo - it was probably a vision where she would diminish, and, like her people, "...dwindle to a rustic folk of dell and cave, slowly to forget and to be forgotten". Post-Frodo, she "..will diminish, and go into the West, and remain Galadriel". What caused me to make the initial post was it seemed the sins of the ring maker were being thrown at the ring wielder. She (to me) didnt start the drama, but she did see how her ring could help affect her strategy of defiance towards Sauron.

Quote:
Frodo bent his head. 'And what do you wish?' he said at last.
'That what should be shall be,' she answered. 'The love of the Elves for their land and their works is deeper than the deeps of the Sea, and their regret is undying and cannot ever wholly be assuaged. Yet they will cast all away rather than submit to Sauron: for they know him now. For the fate of Lothlorien you are not answerable, but only for the doing of your own task. Yet I could wish, were it of any avail, that the One Ring had never been wrought, or had remained for ever lost.'
This shows me that she knew her use of the technology would only at best be a long postponement of the inevitable, as all the Eldar (at least) knew by that time.

After all,
Quote:
The evil that was devised long ago works on in many ways, whether Sauron himself stands or falls.
I would add (with toungue in cheek) also that Galadriel, with all her machinations faults and witchcraft, was a very key instrument in the bigger strategy of the defeat of Sauron, so one could say that her use of technology/magic and her desire for order and rule were meant to be thus.

Beth thats an intriguing thought. I would almost say Romanticism is rearing her head at the idea. But, I would say that, at this time, I dont have (or remember) a longing for the good old days, but something somewhere in my genes apparantly does, which marks the genious of the works.

Last edited by drigel; 02-03-2006 at 11:23 AM.
drigel is offline   Reply With Quote