View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #10
Alfirin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alfirin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegorn View Post
Perhaps. Still, there are many incidents, especially during the Exile of the Dúnedain of Anor, that Elrond has taken care of the Heirs of Elendil who were his kin.

"without the goodwill of Master Elrond the Heirs of Isildur will soon come to an end." - Gilraen

There was one instance with a lady of the Edain named Andreth in the First Age who had a love who was an Elf, but they never got together because of her mortality.
A Valid point, though, given the distance, it's a little hard to determine if the reason Elrond helped was because they were his relatives, or just he though it important for the heirs to keep going. After all after a while the Heirs were something like his great great great to many degrees nephews. To a man, that would really probably not still count as "kin". Though I suppose that an immortal, who had known all the generations that had come before personally, might have a different view as to how close someone had to be to still be considered "family". Certainly the fact that Aragorn and Arwen are first cousins many times removed was never cited as being a problem (I am assuming that ME has the same moral issues with inbreeding as we do. Given the way some early European cultures looked at it, they might not).
Alfirin is offline   Reply With Quote