View Single Post
Old 11-28-2009, 10:45 AM   #617
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The night was a cold one. There was no wind, thankfully, and Lithor could walk around comfortably so long as he was properly dressed. His walk was aimless. There was no place Lithor wanted to go in particular so simply wondered around the stables. His challenge, Athanar’s outburst, and his defiance revealed a lot to him. First off, know your audience, this audience was not ripe for the picking—his pick had been too hasty. Secondly, that deep down he had no stomach for politics. Around and around the stables Lithor walked each time faster than before until he had accelerated to a brisk walk. His mind thought well when his body was at work with it.

What did you accomplish by speaking back to Athanar. The sentiment in the hall did not change, they all still despised you for what they saw as an unnecessary boast and challenge. All I did was make enemies. I believe saying what I believe, but there are some times when it is prudent to stay quiet. Thinking out loud is responsible for much of mankind’s misery as you are about to found out.

“You insulted Athanar. You insulted him in public! It is perfectly acceptable to insult someone in private (sometime they might even thank you for it afterward) but when you do it in public they tend to think you are serious about it. There was no need to go that far. After all, you were never against the change of rule in the hall, only the haste for it.”

Erbrand
Crabannan’s song ended. Erbrand and Kara stood looking into each other’s eyes still embracing one another, not ready to let go (at least, Erbrand was not ready to let go). Then something quite unexpected happened, Saeryn’s delicate voice came echoing through the kitchen door. Erbrand looked at the opened door and then back at Kara.

“I must hear this,” he said as he sprinted to the door followed closely by Kara. Erbrand held her around the shoulder as Saeryn spoke of peace once again. Was it too late? Saeryn was doing what Athanar could not do, which is to unite the old Scarburg with the new Scarburg. There was no mistaking Athanar’s intentions, he was to be in charge of the settlement by whatever means necessary. Erbrand thought that Saeryn was wise to call for unification instead of Athanar.

“Just look at her, Kara.” Erbrand said looking at Saeryn, frail, timid, pregnant, yet rising above all of that and standing amongst strong men. It was good to see someone with a clear head taking control.

“Before she was lady Saeryn she was just Saeryn: an ordinary country girl with no experience in professional diplomacy or commanding a hall. Yet, to see her now rising above all of that to try to bring order out of an impossible situation—no one has even tried! Saeryn has not only inherited lord Eodwine’s respect, she has inherited his strength.” Erbrand looked at Kara. He was obviously proud at what he was hearing.
“But will Athanar accept her good will?” Kara asked with a troubled look on her face. It was a grim thought, the possibilities of which were not certain.

“He will, he must!” Erbrand’s voice was resolute and determined. “How can he not? Look at her face Kara, shining as light coming through a glass window. Oh to finally have someone that we can look to, who we respect—we must support her with words and leadership and swords, if necessary, and most of all faith in what she does. ”

“Do you not hear yourself?” Kara clung to him; he could hear the shock in her voice. “Lady Saeryn is speaking of peace and you are already mentioning swords.”

“If I have to stand and rail until my voice breaks and my legs collapse beneath me, I will not see her wronged.” Erbrand looked at Kara her delicate form showing courage but frailty. He cradled her head in his hands. “I will not see you wronged either Kara, I promise you that.”

Saeryn finished talking. She looked bolder than she had at the beginning of the address, a natural leader. To speak so boldly after someone had been accused of treason was admirable to say the least. There was no longer any doubt that Athanar would do as he wished when it came to the status of those in the old Scarburg. Saeryn had already been placed at a rank lesser than that of lady, Athanar might bring her down another notch for this. However, if enough people rallied around Saeryn, Athanar might be afraid to do anything to her. Erbrand could not stand it any longer. He had to let the newcomers know that at least some of the remnants of Scarburg would unite behind Saeryn.

Crabannan had been the first, now it was his turn. With a loud voice Erbrand boldly proclaimed “Aye, well said!” He could feel Kara tense up as he spoke. It was an innocent remark that betrayed nothing but his opinion. What he hoped for was that it would provoke other members of Scarburg to find their voices.