View Single Post
Old 01-05-2006, 09:17 PM   #4
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex
I get bugged by things like this. Small changes like this make me blood boil! It was the petulant and childish Boromir who throws the stone in the water! Don't blame the hobbits. (This change really DOES bug me.....)
That is just too funny, as I consider this a small change that is consistent within PJ's Middle Earth. Pip and Merry are to be seen as fools so that later they can 'grow up.'

Quote:
It seems a lot of people have this misconception that Book Merry solved the riddle. He didn't - he just asked the question of what the words meant and Gandalf finally picked up on this - Another change I didn't like. (I really don't know why these small changes annoy me more than the large ones - it could be that I can give a 'movie' reason for some of the larger ones, but no reason for these small changes)
Merry/Frodo act as a catalyst. And again, I'm for showing Frodo Baggage doing something .

Quote:
I didn't (and never have) thought of this AT ALL. My mind is always fully in Middle-earth in these films (except for when I see jackson or his kids) - and nothing drags me back to the real world - so no thoughts of allegory at all for me here.
I was referring to this movie poster, not my experience in the theater. Sorry, should have been more clear. Strangely, in my search for the link I saw many religious sites making use of the same quotation.

Quote:
It's a pity we didn't have the Wolf attack scene where book Sam says this line regarding Gandalf's powers. Instead we get a silly Warg attack in TT that was one of my least favourite parts of the films!
The stairs scene could have been cut for a Warg scene. We could have seen more Gandalf in his glory and still had action.

Quote:
On another tolkien forum I used when the first two films were coming out there was a ridculous thread on the physics of how Gandalf catches up with his sword and the Balrog! It went on for MONTHS - people exlplaining they had physics degrees and could explain how he caught up, terminal velocity etc - it was hilarious!
Luckily I am too busy to be...ahhh...caught up in such discussions....

Quote:
the same way they do in the books........
Think that you and I discussed this before, but I don't remember how they get out. Already on the other side? New bridge? Alternate route? What?

Quote:
because he knows he's going to Lorien, his favourite place in Middle-earth
Nah, that was Imladris, Home of the She-Elf.

Cheers.