View Single Post
Old 09-02-2007, 01:57 PM   #24
Sir Kohran
Wight

Sir Kohran has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post
Watching the Moria scene recently on TV - the theatrical version - it caught me how silly the previous scene was. Frodo takes a tumble on the snows of Caradhras and the Ring falls from his neck. Here, the Watcher flings him around like so much bubble gum stuck to the end of your finger and yet the Ring stays put. Did the Ring have a fire for Boromir, falling for him, and not for the creature in the lake, which may have not been the best bearer? Was the Ring sick of being in a deep dark pool and so clung to Frodo for all it was worth?

Also, the much-maligned insectoid orcs that defy gravity and climb down the pillars to surround the Fellowship: did they take leave of this ability when battling the Nine earthbound walkers? What an advantage it would be to drop down upon your opponent...
Well...you answered your own question on the first point. We're told right at the start that the Ring has a will of its own. At the Council it 'sees' that Boromir is susceptible to it, and so when it sees a chance to reveal itself to him and re-awaken his desire for it, it takes it (think back to its almost poltergeist-like fall from Gollum's rock in the prologue).
However, another five hundred years in a dark cave with another witless monster is not what the Ring would want, hence it staying with Frodo during the roller-coaster tossing by the Watcher.
I don't think any of this is 'silly'.

Your second point is more accurate. However, in the book the orcs came through the door on foot, so that's what the film chose. Wouldn't want to go against the book now, would we?