View Single Post
Old 12-09-2017, 06:27 PM   #12
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
gondowe, I can see your reasoning. It is true that the direct sense of these introduction is that the Noldor are fare from the Pelori, which makes your placement more likely. And yes you are also right that Taniquetil is the highes of all mountains, and might be in a flat world, as we propose it, seen from very, very far away.

So that would mean:
Quote:
§158 Therefore Fëanor halted and the Noldor debated what course they should now take. But soon they began to suffer anguish from the cold, and the clinging mists through which no gleam of star could pierce; and many of them repented of the road and began to murmur, especially those that followed Fingolfin, cursing Fëanor, and naming him as the cause of all the woes of the Eldar. FoN-EX-23.5 <Q&E {Most significant, they cite from an ancient legend of the flight the tale that as}As the mists of Araman wrapped the distant mountains of Valinor from the sight of the Noldor, Fëanor raised his hands in token of rejection and cried: 'I go. Neither in light or shadow will I look upon you again, Dahanigwishtilgūn.' So it was recorded, though the writers of the histories no longer knew what he meant. For which reason the strange word may have been ill transmitted. But even so it still bears some likeness to Taniquetil though it can no longer be analysed. (In a few versions, say the Loremasters, it was written dāhanigwiš-telgūn.) > FoN-EX-24b <Shibboleth Fingolfin {had }prefixed the name Finwë to Ñolofinwë{ before the Exiles reached Middle-earth}. This was in pursuance of his claim to be the chieftain of all the Noldor after the death of Finwë, and so enraged Fëanor.>
ArcusCalion, there is no direct rule against the creation of a footnote, but up to now we never found a reason good enough to do so. Creating a footnote is a change more serious then it seems at first glance. The authorship of the text lifted into a footnote is obscured in two ways: On an outer view it is no longer clear, if it is the author JRRT writing or us as editors? And on a inside view the same question can be asked. That alone must make us critical. My feeling is that if we can not introduce something into the main text without an explanatory footnote (even so the text of the footnote comes from JRR Tolkien) we should leave it out. The only excaption is if JRR Tolkien used a footnote himself.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote