View Single Post
Old 08-27-2003, 10:55 PM   #22
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Reading Tolkien's works you get the idea that their writer believed in God using his creatures for His greater purpose.
Indeed this appears to be so, Evisse, even unto Melkor himself:
Quote:
And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me, nor can any alter the music in my despite. For he that attempteth this shall prove but mine instrument in the devising of things more wonderful, which he himself hath not imagined.
--Iluvatar to the Ainur in the Ainulindale.

Thus, the concept of "evil will will evil mar," that seems to run through the entire mythos appears to postulate that there is nothing, not even the greatest evil known, that can overthrow the One God, Eru Iluvatar. Even evil will work to the good, so to speak and be "better to have been...and yet remain evil." (its a quote, but I can't find it!) The great paradox of evil here shows in the fact that those perpetrators are actually working, unknowingly, to the good, while still ending in "persistent wickedness." (i.e. Gollum, who tried SO hard to reform and yet never let go of the one great evil influence in his life and so perished in a state of un-grace, although his actions provided the aforesaid grace to Frodo.)

The message, it would seem, is those possessing a pure good spirit can experience the grace of Iluvatar, whereas those who work against the good are constrained to his plan, but do not gain that personal grace that the Faithful do.

This seeming "paradox" of evil would seem to negate the presence of true evil in a realm where Eru's will is all, and yet there is the concept of grace that affects the individual and overrules the nebulous poles of good and evil in this view. How can evil be a part of the good and still remain evil? The intent to usurp the position of the One God, to rule over others, to bend others or a realm to one's own will, i.e., to play God. And, of course, this is never possible in Eru's realm.

Well, I can't think of anything else to say, and I hope I haven't bored the room! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Thanks for your indulgence!

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”