View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #16
cellurdur
Shade of Carn Dûm

cellurdur has just left Hobbiton.
[QUOTE=Galadriel;679095]
Quote:
So did all the Elves, actually, save the Teleri. They weren't the only ones brave enough to make the journey. Dior is a male, by the way, so I have no idea what you're talking about when you say he's Thingol's heir. You're just proving my point.
No they were the initial ambassadors brave enough to make the journey first and then give a report back to the other elves. This is why they became the kings and leaders of their people.

Yes Dior is a male, but he was Luthien's son. The Sindar accepted Dior as their king, through a maternal line. If Luthien had chosen too, they would have had her as their queen.
Quote:
If I remember correctly, that is only because the patriarch died, not because she was first choice.
It does not matter, she led the people instead of her brother's sons. The royal family was called the House of Haleth after her and she was not actually a direct ancestress of that line.
Quote:
That's no excuse. Unless the queens had absolutely no say in ruling the kingdom, that is, and even then it's a really dubious reason. I don't know if there's any country in which queens are not mentioned for generations on end. Even in a strictly patriarchal dynasty, such as that of the Mughals, in which emperors had several wives who most certainly were not rulers or rarely even unofficial advisers, they are all mentioned. You seem to be defending the sexist/misogynistic procedure of omitting female names entirely, just because they weren't the 'ruling monarchs'. They provided the heirs, at the very least, which I'm pretty sure these monarchs couldn't do unless they were amoebas or something. I'm sorry, but Tolkien's ME is quite sexist, and there's little you can say to contradict that.
Technically I am not sure the Queen would legally have much of a say as Queen consort. I am not aware of anything to suggest they would. That is not to say they would not be appointed as a member of the Council anyway, but the role of Queen Consort does not necessarily grant political power with Gondor or Numenor.

I am saying that it is common to trace royal lines through only the Reigning Monarch. I have previously given the example of Prince Charles. Nobody traces his line through Prince Philip. I also used the example of Queen Victoria. She is called the mother of European royal families, but Prince Albert is not called the father.

We will have to disagree on this. There are too many cultures with different practices and customs to call Tolkien's ME sexist. Especially when we look at Numenor in times of peace having ruling Queens.

Slightly off topic, but in cultures where the Monarch has more than one wife, it is far more important to note the mother, because more often than not, the loyalties of the Monarch would depend on his mother's family.
cellurdur is offline   Reply With Quote