View Single Post
Old 04-05-2006, 06:08 PM   #191
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
"Quick! She's seen us! Let's hide under the cover." Garmund hurriedly retreated behind the heavy canvas, pulling Léoðern after him. The children huddled in a their corner of the cart, a little area free of Garstan's tools and made soft and warm with pillows and quilts.

Léoðern giggled merrily. "It's a game! She's so big and grown to play with us. What should we do? I think I'll make a face like this." She twisted her face and held her breath until Garmund joined her laughter and made a face too. They scurried to the opening in the canvas and peeked out again, ready to startle their new friend. But she was ready for them with yet another face that sent the children into shrieks of laughter as they ducked back inside.

"She's funny," Léoðern said. "Garmund, did mother play with us like that?"

The boy's face turned sad and oddly thoughtful for a child of nine. "I think she did. It was so long ago. I hardly remember." He looked at his sister, trying desperately to bring up distant memories. Their mother's face was fading from his memory, though he kept a few vivid moments with him. Dancing under the trees in their old home. Her voice as she sat by the fire telling tales. And there was Léoðern. She reminded him of their mother. Their eyes were the same shade of blue. And they had the same red hair. But Garmund couldn't remember if their mother had shared Léoðern's freckles.

"Brother's sad. Don't be sad. Do you think we'll stay here? I hope so."

"So do I." Garmund shook off his reverie. "Do you think she's still watching? Let's see what she's doing."

And the children peeked out again to catch a glimpse of the funny big girl, wondering if they would be able to stay long enough in this place to become friends with her.