View Single Post
Old 12-10-2018, 11:31 PM   #15
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
As you have surely marked, gandalf85, Galadriel and Celeborn is not a thread about a chapter but a preliminary discussion about the couple and all their movements, in which I tried to get a kind of a working basis for the production of the drafts.
Making the crossing of the Misty Mountains explicit would force our interpretation of the famous sentence in the LotR on our reader. In questions like this where the facts are not fully clear we normally avoid this. As long as there is a doubt or another interpretation possible (as it clearly is in this case) we should try to make our text ambiguity enough to allow all possible interpretation of the sources.
Actually I had hoped to generate different possible timelines in the thread Galadriel and Celeborn. But it didn’t work out in that way.
Since the sentence and it use here as meaning the Misty Mountians is already borderline tour rules, I would think rather to change it in this way:
Quote:
But such a policy having no hope of acceptance among the Elves of Beleriand, Galadriel and Celeborn departed over Ered Lindon before the end of the First Age{; and when they received the permission of the Valar to return into the West they rejected it}.> SP-SL-11<Editorial addition based on the head note to ‘Concerning Galadirel and Celeborn’ {Celeborn “escaped the sack of Doriath”}When Celeborn returned later to Doriath> SP-SL-12c<HoME12; Part 1; Ch. VI; T4; Note 10 she {passed east over the mountains and} forsook Beleriand, and first of all the Noldor came to the inner lands; and too late she heard the summons of {Fionwë}[Eönwë].>
Inthat way we leave it open if she crossed the Misty Mountains but still keep her exploring Middle-earth east of the Ered Lindon.
But I am still very hesitant about that. As long as we do not name the mountains, it could be assumed that Galadriel first followed Celebron back to Beleriand and then crossed again Ered Lindon to ‘forseek Beleriand’.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote