View Single Post
Old 12-29-2018, 09:14 AM   #8
gandalf85
Wight

gandalf85 has just left Hobbiton.
After reading this chapter, I think the decision to change the father and son in the Lost Road section to Isildur and Elendur was the right decision. Getting to know them and their relationship in that chapter strengthens their interactions in this chapter and makes their deaths more tragic. Some comments:

1)
Quote:
On the march each man carried with him two days' provisions (other than the ‘need-wallet’ mentioned in the text)
Where is a 'need-wallet' mentioned? I couldn't find it in this chapter, or "Of Sauron Defeated" or "Of The Fall of Numenor". Could we reference the actual chapter it is mentioned in? Instead of "mentioned in the text," we would say "mentioned in [chapter name]".

2) There seem to be a few typos in the text Arcus sent me, or the original text:

Quote:
but the soldiers of the Dúnedain, tail men of great strength and endurance
This is what it says in the pdf I have of Unfinished Tales. I am not currently at my home and can't check in my physical copy, but I think this should be "tall".

Quote:
All three had fought in the War of the Alliance, but Aratan an Ciryon had not been
This should be "and".

3) This is more a question than a comment. At the end of note 20 it says "Nonetheless it proved in the event that the War of the Ring was lost at the Disaster of the Gladden Fields." I don't understand this. The War of the Ring was ultimately a victory. How was the War lost at the Disaster of the Gladden Fields?
gandalf85 is offline   Reply With Quote