View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010, 06:21 PM   #1610
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Usually, they do both, at least for the motorways and other major roads, but they're having a hard time keeping it up at the moment, as it's getting increasingly hard to get any salt for love or money.
And yes, I do realize that from an Alaskan perspective, my complaints probably sound like those of a pampered spoiled brat!
My dear, only the Big City (which admittedly has less than 300,000 people) gets plowed, and even that not fully. Most of us use snow machines or snowshoe or something when it really starts to snow. Most of the backroads are hand-shoveled out only far enough that the shovel-people can get to the highway. Mostly it all shuts down. I think there are supposed to be people to plow, but that never happens. Oh, and highway snow gets beaten down by traffic until you can't see the snow, only black ice (fine, you can't see black ice either). So...Alaskans expect driving-related delays.