View Single Post
Old 03-22-2004, 07:03 PM   #178
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Tobias Hornblower wandered through the raucous din, wading past folk of every age and size as if they represented some dense ocean to be forged with haste. He held onto the small tin mug clutched firmly in his hand with all his might, but could not stop the overflowing froth to splash out onto the unwary backs of some hapless inn-goers, though they didn’t seem to notice at all. The hobbit wore his finest and was acting in the most polite manner he could. Having abandoned the gaudy sequined vest that had been singed beyond repair that day which seemed so long ago, he wore his brightest, flashiest outfit and his warmest demeanor.

He heard countless noises, mugs clicking together noisily, the endless buzz and chatter of conversation, and, from the darker corner of the room, a smooth but stern melody. The elder gentlehobbit heard a cry for ale ring from nearby, and a fervent one at that. He normally would’ve ignored the plea, but he knew who it came from. It was Snaveling’s voice undoubtedly. Toby suddenly realized that the melodic tune that had just coursed through his ears was Snaveling’s, though the man’s course voice had been strangely altered for the better as he sung. 'Strange indeed.' thought the hobbit as he scurried to Snaveling.

“Here you are. It was you who called out for ale, was it not?” he chuckled.

Snaveling wrenched the brimming mug from Toby and imbibed most of its contents in an instant. After a great quaff, he lowered the vessel and nodded to the hobbit, seeming gratified enough to please Toby.

“Master Sna- I mean Snaveling…that was indeed a memorable piece of work. I am, for once, chagrined that I know not the ways of outsiders. The only songs I can sing are the more jovial tunes of the Shire, and they are naught compared to that. I suppose I can sin as well as the next hobbit, but you would not desire to hear my rambling tunes. You have more talent in song than I had thought, Snaveling.”

Snaveling nodded but Tobias could barely tell since most of his face was hidden by the mug again.

“Did I not tell you that you would do well to stay for this gala event? I promise you, my friend, by the end of this night we will all be a great deal happier. We will each pay our debts to this place for bringing us together. You have your way…and I most certainly have mine.”

Toby muffled another laugh as he patted his bulging vest pocket meaningfully and turned to the crowd.