View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012, 06:47 AM   #947
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I've never considered myself an avid reader of fantasy books, though I've read a number of them that were recommended to me. When I read the blog of an author whose books I devoured and will most certaily reread (Patrick Rothfuss, The Kingkiller Chronicles), I decided to try one of the book series on his list. It's the Mistborn trilogy, by Brandon Sanderson. I'm not finished with the third book yet, but I am enjoying the story tremendously!

The author takes a different twist on building his world, with a unique system of magic and some observant writing on the problems of achieving goals and getting into more difficulties afterwards. The plot is complex, the characters fascinating, and the thoughts on political systems and religion interesting. Above all, there's nothing there that copies Tolkien - something I appreciate!

I'll check in again when I finish the third volume (yes, the books are voluminous, but that's an advantage as far as I'm concerned!)...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote