View Single Post
Old 10-11-2003, 01:17 AM   #9
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Jack's post

Erfalas stared at the slip of paper. His ticket to the Grey Havens, it was a little unsettling to be picked only because you were old. And yet… he was excited he had to admit. He sat still reading and rereading the paper.

Erfalas looked over his bare room. There was little he wanted to take with him. His dark, coarse cloth bag sat on his bed, almost nothing in its depths. He frowned, what did you bring on a mission? A loud knock on his door startled Erfalas out of his thoughtfulness.

“Erfalas, your going to the Gray Havens!” Gallion said excitedly. “Do you need any thing? Help? Food?”

“Food! That’s what I forgot!” Erfalas said loudly, clapping his friend on the back.
Gallion dragged Erfalas down the winding stair and into the large kitchens.

Later Gallion sat on Erfalas’s bed and ate an apple and Erfalas sat on near the window. “Are you takeing Gold Flame with you?”

“No… no horses, its in the letter, note, thing,” Erfalas dug in his pocket and handed it over to Gallion.

““We will leave tomorrow after sunrise. Please meet us by Tanroth's house. It's located on the outskirts of Lorien. From there we will go North-West. Take with you what you need, but not more. The journey will be difficult and perhaps dangerous.
Horses will not be needed, not now anyhow. We will travel by foot

~~ Tanroth and Firiel” That’s nice… and nice…” Gallion said slowly.

“My words exactly!” Erfalas smiled.

~ * ~

The next morning:

Erfalas stretched and yawned. Dreams were distracting and he didn’t want to sit up staring at the stars. Dressing quickly Erfalas picked up his bag. He slung his quiver over his shoulder and picked up his bow. His sword was in his pack. Stepping out of the arched doorway, he nearly ran down the stairs, he was more excited than he would admit. Gallion was waiting at the bottom of the stairs for him.

“I can’t let my best friend leave with out me to see him off,” Gallion said in answer to Erfalas’s questioning look. Gallion smiled and flipped his blond hair out of his face.

Erfalas smiled too and pushed his dark hair out of his stormy gray eyes. “Thank you Gallion,” Erfalas said adjusting his light grey cloak. “Well?”

“Anxious are we?” Gallion asked, laughing.

“Yes so lets go!” Erfalas said and he and Gallion walked down the path towards Tanroth’s home. The the friends set of across Lorien for the last time.

[ October 11, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]