View Single Post
Old 06-16-2004, 10:24 PM   #5
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Son of Númenor has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Personally, I don't think 9 Eagles could even hope to take down 9 fell beasts, perhaps I'm wrong, but that's always been my opinion.
I think you underestimate Gwaihir's host.
Quote:
There came Gwaihir the Windlord, and Landroval his brother, greatest of all the Eagles of the North, mightiest of the descendants of Thorondor, who built his eyries in the inaccessible peaks of the Encircling Mountains when Middle-earth was young. Behind them in long siwft lines came all their vassals from the mountains speeding on a gathering wind. Straight down upon the Nazgûl they bore, stooping suddenly out of the high airs, and the rush of their wide wings as they passed over was like a gale.

But the Nazgûl turned and fled, and vanished into Mordor's shadows...
" (The Return of the King, "The Field of Cormallen", 927)(italics mine).
I personally enjoyed the scene of the coming of the Eagles and their fight with the Nazgûl. It was one of the more exciting scenes, and the CGI Eagles were incredible.

Also, where did you get the idea that there were nine Eagles pitted against the nine Ringwraiths?
"This miserable drizzling afternoon I have been reading up old military lecture-notes again:- and getting bored with them after an hour and a half. I have done some touches to my nonsense fairy language - to its improvement."
Son of Númenor is offline   Reply With Quote