View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008, 06:01 AM   #38
bilbo_baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In my front hallway, grabbing my staff, about to head out my door
bilbo_baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to bilbo_baggins
Thank you Estelyn, for pointing out Hitler's Austrian backgrounds. However my point was that Sauron couldn't be patriotic to Mordor, since he was a Maia, whereas, Hitler at least had some vague idea of a "greater German empire" to which he belonged... but he wasn't German, it's true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure
Mein Kampf was written in 1924 already. His antisemitist and racist motives were laid open in it, as were his plans to go to war. His motives were never noble.
Dang it, there went my mouth again. I concede on the point that his racist ideas and anti-semitism went back as far as his patriotism, and that the two are inseparable.

But on the other hand, don't many people have radical (and ignorant) ideas about how to improve their country? As you have easily proven, his patriotism cannot be separated from his desire to kill Jews, but that doesn't mean he wasn't a patriot.

And Sauron as a patriot for Mordor is inconceivable - this difference between Sauron and Hitler was really the only point I wanted to make. My tangents were groundless...