View Single Post
Old 01-04-2003, 03:38 AM   #36
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

WOW! Lindil, thanks no end for bringing Osanwe-Kente to the Books Forum. I haven't been to Languages yet, and there's a lot of great stuff I'm probably missing out on. Was the Osanwe-Kente written entirely by JRRT, or is it being compiled by the Elf language scholars? Do you know how much is JRRT and if much has been added to it? Hopefully his own views on the subject don't get distorted or misinterpreted anywhere along the way!

Quote:
This explains how Gandalf was able to communicate his thoughts to Frodo even across great distances....
In this case, would Gandalf have had to be without his Incarnation, his wizardly body? I'm still unsure of the timing of Gandalf's return and Frodo's trial at Amon Hen. From Gandalf's description of the event he was standing in a "high place" communicating with Frodo - do I take this to mean he was in his earthly body at the time? Obviously when he returned some of his powers were greatly enhanced.

As for the distance question, can Elves as Eruhíni communicate over great distances? Is the telepathic phonecall from Galadriel to Elrond in the movie appropriate? And is the communication without words, back and forth between Frodo and Galadriel appropriate as well? As for the first instance of Osanwe-Kente in the FOTR movie, when the Fellowship enter Lorien, obviously Frodo's mind would have to be open. Presumably this was the natural state for Frodo. Should this have been the natural state for the entire Fellowship? Even Boromir is questioned telepathically by Galadriel. Was his mind open, or did she use her considerable powers to force a way inside?

My apologies if some of these questions are easily answered. I haven't completely grasped the whole idea yet.