View Single Post
Old 09-02-2002, 12:31 PM   #42
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Gosh! I go away for one day and this thread grows and grows and grows. Heh. I have something else to add.

It's true that even in Lord of the Rings, evil wasn't completely destroyed. But now I realize that what actually happened was that good was promoted to the extent that evil's power was diminished to uselessness. Does that make sense? I know what I'm trying to say, I just don't know how to say it.

But anyway, my point is, if that's the case (that evil wasn't completely destroyed, its power was just diminished in the face of good), couldn't a modern quest like Frodo's in Lord of the Rings still be possible? I mean, not to destroy evil completely, but to diminish its power.

I think the reason there are so many bad things in the world is that people just don't care enough to get up and act, and if they do, most of the time they eventually loose faith in all possibility of conquering, and give up. But if enough of us are willing to promote good in the face of evil, as we showed in the aftermath of the September 11th attacks (I'm sorry if I offend anyone with this example), well, it's true we still wouldn't be able to destroy evil completely, but at least we would be able to weaken its power, wouldn't we?

[ September 02, 2002: Message edited by: Merri ]