View Single Post
Old 08-30-2003, 09:56 PM   #100
Corwyn Celesil
Haunting Spirit

Corwyn Celesil has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

The person whose character is most reduced in the movie is Faramir. A man of wisdom beyond his brother's, of great sensitivity (as revealed in his treatment of Eowyn later) as well as strength and valour, he loved his brother but clearly saw his faults. Though tempted by the Ring, he refused to take it when he had the chance and revealed great worth. His portrayal in the movies was that of almost an entirely different man, a less admirable man.
Theoden, too, disappointed and annoyed me. He changed from a man of honour and valour to a man who refused to take the advice of the wise and move against evil. Oh, his glorious call of the Rohirrim to arms in the book (which moved me to tears at my third reading) was a great loss.
Aside from these two, the other character portrayal that has begun to annoy me is that of Aragorn. I greatly admire most of the movie Aragorn, but his reluctance to be Gondor's king is greatly out of character. Aragorn was every inch a king and he knew it. He had been to Gondor before and served under Denethor's father, and he loved the land and the city of Minas Tirith. When he looked into the palantir and revealed himself to Sauron, when he resolutely and fearlessly went through the Paths of the Dead, he had no hesitation and he had become then the king of Gondor, though he hadn't taken the throne. The movie Aragorn's aparent lack of desire to do what he should (especially in what I have heard of how RoTK will go) is disappointing and annoying.
I do, however, absolutely love Gandalf's portrayal. He follows the book better than anyone else.
Despite the things about the movies that annoy me terribly, I believe that as movies they are some of the best that I have ever seen.
Then came there from the south of the city the people of the Fountain, and Ecthelion was their lord, and silver and diamonds were their delight; and swords very long and bright and pale did they wield . . .
Corwyn Celesil is offline   Reply With Quote