View Single Post
Old 01-11-2002, 12:34 AM   #88
Telgaladiel
Pile O'Bones

Telgaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Telgaladiel
Sting

hoo boy...<BR>All right, after reading every entry made, I would like to make one teeny observation as the "somewhat initiated prior to her movie experience and is currently reading the books and loving them all while loving the movie, too."<P>It seems to me that those who have read the books by Tolkien for as many years as you all have said you have will have problems nomatterwhat discerning their interpertation from PJ's and his actors. What you may think is a debate about the movie itself can come across as book to movie. And I really don't appreciate worries like "uneducated bandwagon" being aired publically. It could be a real turnoff to someone just out looking for info and discussion while they are introducing themselves to what is obviously well loved and read.<P>There was a bit in the movie that irked me, the biggest being in Rivendell when Frodo took up the burden of the Ring. Gandalf is standing there, shouting his hat off to Boromir in the scene shot where Frodo says for the second time he will take it up. A split second later we are cut to a close up of Gandalf's face all solemn and forlorn. I cannot cannot believe that he could recover so quickly and the shot completely ruined that section for me. It was too jumpy, too cut.<P><BR><I>In film acting, subtlety is key. It is all in the eyes and small movements of the face and body - that's how film reveals what stage acting cannot.</I><P>All right, touchy subject for me. But I'm good for a debate, if I can find the quoter again. I'm training for stage acting right now, and if subtlety isn't a key there, I don't know what is. Comparing the impact of stage acting to film acting is like comparing Feist to Eddings, apples to oranges. The setting is entirely different, the staging, the entire style. Anyways, I don't want to rant too much off topic here, but if the person can remember their quote, I'll talk with you, definitely.<P>*goes off to find quoter*

"I don't think so."
Telgaladiel is offline   Reply With Quote