Thread: Fantasy
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2008, 07:21 PM   #12
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem View Post
And the question is, because Fantasy is the purest use of the human imagination, is it right to set limits on it, & refuse readers/movie-goers access to certain secondary worlds, or should there be no limits on what can be imagined? Isn't that the purpose of Fantasy?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but have 'we' here at the Barrow Downs really decided/defined/discussed whether Fantasy is "the purest use of the human imagination"?

And it isn't just fantasy but many forms of language which have been censored/ banned/ repudiated. The novel was disparaged, particularly as reading material for young women, in its early decades. I seem to recall a certain philosopher who would have banned poets from his ideal Republic. There seems to be an uneasiness, a queasiness, with language that too far diverges from history or some sort of touchstone of verifiability.