View Single Post
Old 07-19-2003, 11:55 PM   #91
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elora has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ruiel smiled at Pelien's daughter, noting the somewhat startled expression on the girl's face with some satisfaction as Pelien pointed out the obvious dawdling of Alethea. Irritation bubbled within her as she accepted a delicate cup of tea, again the bland varietyv favoured by the weaker consitutions of Gondorian nobles.

"Indeed, Alethea shall be joining us today. She is delayed by her intent to find the gown perfectly suited for your luncheon. I am sure she will be here, presently.

"Tell me, how is Sador doing? All this sudden flurry of formalities at court must have set him upon his ear, in a manner of speaking."

Ruiel sipped politely at her cup as she waited for her jibe to settle in Pelien's craw. Sador notoriously detested the frippery of court life, unable to see it's merit like most men. Her tone was of a fellow woman who knew only too well what a trial such men can be, indeed all men for that matter. Pelien, however, knew she herself had raised absences. It was only a matter of time before Ruiel siezed on Findulias' absence and commented on that.

"I see the Steward's daughters have graced us with their presence also," Ruiel murmured as she looked the room over. Dryea sent them a stiff glance that contrasted sharply with her earlier triumphant glow. "I daresay your luncheon will be quiet a pleasant diversion from the frantic whirlwind of state marriages that the poor girls must be enveloped in."

"I do hope they'll join us," Dryea managed to add without needing prompting. Ruiel and Pelien smiled in agreement and a tray of whimiscal sweet petite-fours swept past.

"Oh Pelien, you have proved the skill of your kitchens once again! How these escaped Sador I do not know. It is a shame Finduilas is not yet here to sample your fine fare, for these will not last long."

Ruiel smiled pleasantly and sipped at her tea, wishing never more than now for a cup of rich, strong Umbarian coffee instead of the pale watery concoction that was everywhere one turned in the Citadel. Pelien was deciding whether she would respond to Ruiel's comments, and if so how as Ruiel looked at the door in the hopes of Alethea appearing with Ranne. Conversation swirled around her, the snatches that she could catch demanded more than one set of ears.
Characters: Rosmarin: Lady of Cardolan; Lochared: Vagabond of Dunland; Simra: Daughter of Khand; Naiore: Lady of the Sweet Swan; Menecin: Bard of the Singing Seas; Vanwe: Lost Maiden; Ronnan: Lord of Thieves; and, Uien of the Twilight