View Single Post
Old 07-22-2003, 08:27 AM   #99
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Nuru's post for Adrama at Pelien's Luncheon

Adrama cast her eye appraisingly on Alethea, doubtfully watching the confident, innocent face that returned her gaze. She squirmed a little in her chair, wondering why those friendly-looking green eyes made her so uncomfortable. However, she refrained from showing her feelings; rather, she assumed a confident air as well, and even ventured so far as to give the slight impression that she was looking down at Alethea. Whether it came across to Alethea in that manner or not, Adrama herself felt reassured with the feeling of superiority.

Alethea looked roughly the same age as Adrama herself, and her manner of speech, not to mention her personality, seemed to go along well with the personality of Pelien's daughter. Perhaps they could be friends. Adrama had learned, however, that with many people at Minas Tirith, manner and personality were not always everything. It would be well to make a good impression on Alethea by behaving at her best and making sure her appearance was satisfactory. She ran her hands along her lap, smoothing her skirt out.

"What is your opinion of Finduilas?" Alethea asked, and Adrama stifled laughter. What a stupid question that was! Everyone asked each other that question. To think that she had believed for any length of time that there something unique about Alethea. But then the sense of asking such a simple question struck Adrama, and she glanced around the room quickly. She had forgotten something that Alethea had not... they were not alone.

Adrama chose her words carefully, speaking truthfully but not letting Alethea see the exact feelings she had for Finduilas. "To give you my honest opinion, she rather annoys me," she said. "She seems to be... putting on a show, if you understand my feelings. No, I decidedly do not think very much of her." Feelings began to grow inside of her, and Alethea was looking at her in a peculiar, rather superior way, so she hastily changed the subject. "Dryea (your sister, isn't she?) is strikingly beautiful, I must say."

Alethea made a soft little 'mmm' noise of agreement, and then there was a silence that made Adrama rather uncomfortable. She hastily added that she didn't mean anything to the contrary of Alethea, and the latter laughed and brushed her off, reassuring her that no offence at all had been taken. Adrama realized how dangerous it was to tell one sister that the other was very beautiful.

The comment Adrama had made was very typical of her. She knew that she herself was rather attractive, but she never tried to ignore the feelings that someone was more beautiful than her when they were. And the simple but very true fact was that Dryea outshone her. In normal circumstances Adrama would have a deep envy for the one who was taking glory from her by her own beauty, but Dryea created more complicated feelings. She disliked her because she was beautiful; but then again she greatly liked her. She had such a wonderful smile and friendly manner. Who couldn't like her?

Adrama's eyes went over Alethea again. Was that same charm visible in the beauty's sister? Adrama couldn't tell. At any rate, she was rather looking forward to talking more with Alethea after the luncheon. She was looking forward to getting to know her better... or about her. Adrama wasn't sure if Alethea could be considered a friend... not yet. No, Alethea was more of the ally-type, not the real friend. She was like Emilia. But wasn't Emilia a friend? Adrama felt a little dizzy from confusion. Addruran used to be a friend too.

She swiftly turned earnest eyes to Alethea, but found that she was at a complete loss of what to say. Or at least things to say that she could speak without her mother reproving her in any way. Yet... A little smile flickered on Adrama's face. Though it normally would bring a shocked reaction from her mother ?or at least a pretended one- this luncheon was an entirely different matter. And she was curious to see what Alethea's reaction would be. Yes, she would say it without fear.

Without giving any reason for doing so, Adrama spoke in sincere, cold tones, her eyes locked with Alethea's, waiting for the reaction, no matter what it would be, uttering the words, "I hate Finduilas."

[ July 28, 2003: Message edited by: alaklondewen ]