View Single Post
Old 07-26-2003, 10:31 PM   #112
Ealasaid
Wight

Ealasaid has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Averyll sat in a chair near Diorwyn as she stitched away at the dress Betuli had dropped off just minutes before Averyll's arrival. Diorwyn had already addressed the loose thread in Averyll's sleeve, which had turned out to be just that: a loose thread. The hems and seams were all still nicely intact. Averyll thanked her but still lingered in the chair, watching Diorwyn work and admiring the embroidery on the bodice of Finduilas' wedding dress, which lay nearly finished on Diorwyn's bed.

She was trying to decide how to broach the subject of the rumors to Diorwyn when she heard three firm knocks at the door. Diorwyn smiled politely to Averyll and rose to answer the door. It was Eleniel, who stepped into the room and looked around, Averyll thought, with the same sense of awe as a child entering a sorceror's den. She had noticed Elen's fondness for gowns and pretty needlework. To see the master at work must have been a tremendous thrill for Elen. Averyll smiled to herself as Elen and Diorwyn talked for a moment about embroidery and dresses.

After a moment, Elen noticed Averyll and grinned. The two ladies greeted each other, and Elen took a seat beside Averyll. "So," said Diorwyn, looking from face to face between the two ladies. "What brings you to my humble home?" Her eyes settled on Elen's fair face. "Averyll told me she was in need of repair. Is it the same with you?"

Elen flushed. "Well, actually, I came down here looking for Averyll who abandoned us at lunch."

Diorwyn's sharp eyes went back to Averyll. She raised one arched eyebrow.

"Ehm..." Under the seamstresses eyes, Averyll suddenly felt like a naughty schoolgirl caught at some kind of mischief. She, too, flushed slightly. "Well, really, I was hoping to talk to you about what seems to be happening here," she finally blurted out. "I keep hearing awful things about Finduilas. It's not like anyone has come outright with it. It's all rumors and innuendos."

Diorwyn lowered her handwork, her face growing serious.

"And Vieana says the guards are acting strangely!" added Elen.

Diorwyn nodded at Elen and turned her attention back to Averyll. "What sort of things are they saying?"

"That she's not really from Dol Amroth, that she is some sort of imposter. I was wondering if you or any of the maids might have heard anything like that. Elen, Vieana, and I --" she cast a quick glance at Elen, who nodded "-- were hoping to get to the bottom of it before anything serious could come of it."

Diorwyn nodded sagely. "I have heard some idle gossip around the servants' quarters and in the hallways. It has troubled me deeply. Betuli has heard much of the same, but, so far, no one has said anything directly to us. What we have heard has been overheard."

"If it troubles them so much, I wish someone would just come right out and ask us," sighed Eleniel. "Then we could set them straight."

Averyll shrugged. "I don't know. It seems very malicious to me." She paused. "Did you say Betuli had heard some of the same things?"

Diorwyn nodded. "Yes, when she dropped off her dress." She indicated the dress in her lap. "She seemed quite angry about it. Actually, she should be back in a few minutes. You can talk to her yourself."

"Oh, that would be great," Averyll smiled. "In the meantime, does anyone have any ideas what we should do next? We can't just muzzle all the gossips..."

[ July 29, 2003: Message edited by: Ealasaid ]