View Single Post
Old 07-30-2003, 11:12 AM   #116
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Adrama stood at the door, politely bidding farewell to all the guests as her mother had instructed her to do. When Alethea approached her, there was a lingering moment where they looked at each other, and then Adrama smiled and said a few courteous words. She was eager to know Alethea better. Perhaps they could be friends?

The last guest left the house, and Adrama closed the door. She stood there for a moment, her back to the door and her hands behind her holding the knob, deep in thought. At last she looked up and again and crossed the room to Pelien. Slipping her arm through her mother's, she smiled up at her and said, "Mother, your luncheon was positively grand, and I do believe your guests quite enjoyed it."

"Did you enjoy it, dear?" said Pelien rather absently.

"Yes, Mother, I did," Adrama replied truthfully. "Alethea seems much like myself. Maybe I can become friends with her." Adrama hesitated, wondering if she should present the question that was in her mind to her mother. After all, would Pelien even know the answer? "Mother... is it true? I mean all this talk about Finduilas being related to Ar-Pharazon?"

A little hope was burning inside of her. Her mind was working much the same way as her mother's had at the luncheon. If Finduilas was related to Ar-Pharazon, and word of it came to Denethor's ears, how could he possibly wish to wed with her still? And that would leave him open for any woman in Gondor, but the one he would turn to would be herself, Adrama, because... Adrama bit her lip, puzzled. Why would he turn to her? Because she was the obvious choice!

Adrama looked earnestly up at Pelien. "Well, Adrama..." she said slowly and thoughtfully. She didn't say anything more for a few moments, then she smiled confidently. "I did believe it to sound a bit far-fetched at first, but what Elena said seemed to make perfect sense, and Dryea thought it might be true."

Adrama nodded. If Dryea thought so, than so it was. Not only was she extremely likeable and enchanting, but she also seemed to have a great deal of wisdom.

Satisfied, Adrama planted a kiss on her mother's cheek. "Thank you for the wonderful luncheon, Mother," she said. "I really did enjoy myself." Feeling happiness build up inside her at her mother's pleased expression, she retreated to her room and looked out her window. Everything seemed to be going so perfectly. As long as Addruran didn't come, she knew the remainder of the day would go wonderfully. But one of the most wonderful things would be meeting Alethea... really meeting her. Her thoughts strayed in that direction.

Alethea... she had seemed quite a likeable girl, though Adrama had noticed something strange while Alethea had been speaking to her mother. Not exactly rude, but it could hardly be called polite. Then again, Adrama herself hadn't been the perfect picture when she had stated that their mothers were wrong, that the two of them would have nothing in common. That had been rather foolish to say.

She thought back to how intelligent the girl had been. If Adrama had been the one in her place, she probably would have said something shocking that would upset her mother, but Alethea spoke in the manner that most annoyed Adrama... simple, absurd little questions that weren't worth answering. How sensible that had been, with the never-faltering eyes of their mothers on them!

And then Alethea's reaction when Adrama had confessed her feelings for Finduilas... Adrama had quite been looking forward to that. It had been shock, but Alethea had not been horrified. And had Adrama only been imagining it, or was there a faint look of admiration on Alethea's face for a brief moment? Oh, how pleased she had felt when Alethea had said she felt the same. She had also asked why. Adrama felt a little nervous then. Would Alethea think her silly once she confessed exactly why she hated Finduilas.

Don't think of that, Adrama told herself. Alethea seems to be much like me, and to honestly admit something would be a cause for admiration, at least to my eyes. She dropped that subject from her mind. "I wonder," she mused aloud. "Yes, I do wonder. I wonder why Alethea hates Finduilas." She tried to think of a sensible reason, but at last she shrugged and her thoughts left Alethea entirely with the murmured words, "Well, I suppose tomorrow I shall learn the answer to that!"

[ July 31, 2003: Message edited by: Nurumaiel ]