View Single Post
Old 04-15-2003, 05:20 PM   #322
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

NEW INNKEEPER STORYLINE

Derufin had not answered Pio's question as yet, and she did not push him. She considered the fact that he had not said he must leave soon a good sign. And when they had reached the Inn and gone in, she bade him good night and a good rest, and hoped that she would see him tomorrow.

She returned to her rooms and the comfort of her chair by the window. A thick shawl lay across the back of the chair, and she pulled it round her shoulders. The night’s breeze was still cool, coming from the east. It brought in a myriad of summer scents, daphne and the cool scent of The Water the strongest.

Pio let her mind drift out. Mithadan was near! He was sleeping and would be here by tomorrow. She longed to wake him, but thought better of it. Let him sleep, and come early to me.

Smiling, she settled down further into the folds of the chair. Just on the verge of falling asleep, another line of thought came through. Her eyes flew open, and she sat up grinning from ear to ear. ‘By the One!’

Sleep well, Pio. Soon I will come to you. And that followed by a laugh, and the brief glimpse of bright green eyes and long, nut brown hair.

Aman! Her old friend was close to the Shire, and only a few days behind Mithadan. So, she had received her message about the birth of the twins. ‘I wonder if she also received the one about the Green Dragon needing a new Innkeeper once the babies are here?’

Pio wrapped the shawl closer about her and thought how long it had been since she had seen her. Another lifetime ago, she thought, before she had met Mithadan and Cami and sailed on the Lonely Star. Before time had twisted for her, and brought them backward and then forward.

She remembered the young woman fondly. Garulf, the one who had given her Rochfalmar, had introduced them on one of Pio’s stays in the Riddermark. She thought on the first time she had seen her. Garulf had pointed out a figure riding toward them across the fields.

Horse and rider seemed one. The young woman rode without a saddle or bridle. Pio’s eyebrows had risen as she considered the familiarity of the animal and the girl, for that is how she thought of her then. They are so close, she thought, that each can read the other’s moves and moods, their thoughts and wishes.

Pio was surprised when the girl halted her horse before them, hailed Garulf and dismounted. She was tiny! About 5 feet 3 inches, but very strong. Aman was introduced to her, and she found it interesting that the girl did not have that awe of Elves so common to the Mannish races. Instead, she felt a certain level of curiosity come from her and the sense that Aman would be willing to accept her on whatever level she presented herself. She had, too, an amusing side to her. And during the course of the conversation with Garulf, the girl made many wisecracks, nearly driving the man to distraction as he tried to keep up with her nimble mind.

In frustration, Garulf had foisted Aman on Pio, making the excuse that he had business to attend to, and would Aman like to show Pio the new foals in the stable. Aman had laughed as had Pio at his discomfiture, and said he need not worry about them they would get on well without him.

And get on well, they did. Over the next few days they became fast friends, finding much in common. Both had a dry sense of humor which others often took amiss, and both were strong-willed. Luckily, they had not come to blows during any of their disagreements – one or the other would lift the gravity of the situation or discussion with a humorously pointed remark and the other would respond in kind. Most of their battles, ended in laughter and were washed away with a pint of ale from the White Horse.

And now her old friend was bound for Bywater! Pio reached out to her, touching her dreams.

And you Aman, sleep well also. I will be here, waiting.

[ April 15, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]