View Single Post
Old 01-01-2004, 11:53 AM   #2
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadel Vinorel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Galadel Vinorel Send a message via Yahoo to Galadel Vinorel
Tolkien

My opinion of this scene was that Gimli and Legolas were actually trying to create a diversion to the horribleness of what was taking place. They were not, I believe, "killing for sport", yet they were rather trying to "make the best out of a bad situation" by creating a game of it. I think that Tolkien put this scene in at this specific time of the book to lessen the gravity and seriousness of what was occurring, so that the reader would not get overwhelmed. Shakespeare used this same tactic many times during his own plays, including: Julius Caesar.

Actually, I enjoyed this part of the book, for it showed the great friendship between the dwarf and elf. Well, this is my personal opinion, and other people probally have many others. Namarie.
“Words can never convey the incredible impact of our attitude toward life. The longer I live the more convinced I become that life is 10 percent what happens to us and 90 percent how we respond to it." -Charles R. Swindoll
Galadel Vinorel is offline   Reply With Quote