View Single Post
Old 06-11-2002, 02:48 AM   #183
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Luckily elves do not require much sleep, if any.

Pio stood in the shadow of the great mast and listened to the troubled sounds of the night. The ship was uneasy; its planks groaning in protest against the waves and wind which propelled it on.

'Funny thing about that wind,' she thought. 'It seems so still and close as I stand here and yet the sail billows out with a great seeming wind that blows from west to east. And the waves, they seem like grasping hands that pull and force the ship along against its will.'

The most troubling to her heart was the sound of small ones crying out in their sleep. What should have been a peaceful time of rest was marked with fretful cries of terror and confusion. She felt a growing shadow in her mind, a sort of sickness that was creeping into her companions' souls.

Her eyes and ears and mind were open wide to ferret out the source of this malady. Her senses strained to pick out all the creatures on this ship - Frodo, Sam, Rose, Prim, Stacey, Child - she ticked the hobbits off on her fingers; Veritas,Rosseil, Celeaewen, herself - the elves; the unique Bird; and dear Angara, a glowing ember in her mind.

'Funny,' she thought, 'I can't pick out any other beings as present.' She narrowed her focus of concentration to her cousin, Legolas - no, she couldn't find him anywhere, not a trace. The same went for Cirdan, though she entered into that search with great care.

This finding puzzled her greatly. Making her way quietly across the deck to where Child lay dreaming fretfully, she knelt down and gently shook her shoulder. Angara, who lay nearby, awake, nudged the sleeping hobbit on the other shoulder.

'Child, wake up and come with me,' urged Pio. 'Legolas and Cirdan have somehow left the ship. Make haste and we can look in the captain's cabin for any helpful clues.'