View Single Post
Old 12-06-2014, 09:39 AM   #113
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
By the way I noticed that a reference to the Nauglamír has been retained from QN. I don't think it's noted specifically in the constructed Silmarillion, despite that Elwing wore the Silmaril upon her breat somehow. It's interesting: in the early QN I the Nauglamír is cursed and lost in the Sea, along with the Silmaril. In QN II the Nauglamír is noted, but (IIRC) not after Elwing was raised from the Sea as a bird -- but now the Silmaril is saved with Elwing by Ulmo, although Elwing has the Silmaril upon her breast.

In Bilbo's verse -- if we are allowed to take this as Tolkien's version as conceived of at the time, and not part of Bilbo's artistic opinion -- the use of carcanet would seem to suggest Elwing wore the Nauglamír from up out of the Sea, but took the Silmaril out, and it was bound upon Earendil's brow.

If so, what happened to the 'cursed' Nauglamír after? Foster's Guide to Middle-earth wonders if Earendil did not still wear it, at least at times (or something like that), but what's interesting there is that he did not have the use of QN I or II when he published his book, so he appears to be using the poem for guidance...

... in other words, if he's only using the constructed Silmarillion as published, Elwing jumps into the Sea wearing a Silmaril, is saved by Ulmo still wearing a Silmaril; but if the Nauglamír was cursed one might wonder if Ulmo left it to the Sea (if the jewel were still within the necklace before Elwing t this point in the first place), and by his power had Elwing, somehow, continue to wear only the Silmaril.

Although in Bilbo's externally 'latest version' of this poem (published in HME or at least by Hammond and Scull), is Elwing necessarily changed into a bird? One would think so, since she flies like one; but we are dealing with a 'god' here... although that's not really my main point anyway.

... it's more about the fate of the Nauglamír itself. Have I forgotten something else?

Or something?
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote