View Single Post
Old 02-17-2003, 07:38 PM   #63
Dain
Wight

Dain has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Willie, I think I understand what you mean about Smeagol being saved, and I agree. Not 100% recovery, but enough to realize, maybe, the evil that he has become and the desire to change and give up the precious (which we basically see in the two-faced debate in the film, but I can't remember that being as strong in the book).

Here's a thought on why the ring took Smeagol so quickly: it had been lying there so long (2400 years!), perhaps it was releasing all it's pent-up, evil, "come-and-get-me" power into the first promising thing to disturb it? I mean, I also thought that Smeagol was a bit bad before he got the ring, and that that helped. However, the ring was probably so desparate for attention at that point that it just warped the poor hobbit's mind so fast he didn't know what hit him. (Sorry the word choice is a bit vague and colloquial, but I think you get the gist of my idea). Do you think the ring preferred Smeagol to Deagol in any way? Maybe it sensed an easier target, or maybe it had no idea and didn't care. Interesting...