View Single Post
Old 02-18-2003, 11:54 PM   #68
Dininziliel
Wight

Dininziliel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Here's #3 and the last one for now.

Re how/why certain characters responded differently to the Ring ...

This question assumes that the Ring, the embodiment of evil, has a linear, black and white cause-and-effect relationship to those around it/carrying it. It presumes that evil always looks/feels/is a certain identifiable way--that it has logic and reasoning.

Evil is insane, subtle, baffling, and yet strangely simple. If I understand Tolkien's & CS Lewis' approach towards evil, it is that it is more like a 2 year-old on a 2 week tweak-out. It has no sense or even reference point for right or wrong, good or bad--it only wants what it wants with an intense single-minded intent on having it. It works best in the dark alone with its object. And when it goes unchecked, it will eventually destroy its host. This leads back to the questions re Gollum & Boromir vs. Frodo & Bilbo and others in proximity to the Ring.

Both Gollum & Boromir were similar in that they were solitary types who kept their own counsel. They were also primarily concerned with self and what they wanted. Frodo & Bilbo were very connected to other people and to the earth as were all the others who resisted the Ring. Gollum and Boromir did not look much further past their own desires; the Frodo & Bilbo, et al, sought connection and harmony w/the earth. Saruman fits in with this tack as well--a loner, concerned with his own ambition/desire, he is corrupted by desire for the Ring under Sauron's influence.

Dain wrote:
Quote:
Here's a thought on why the ring took Smeagol so quickly: it had been lying there so long (2400 years!), perhaps it was releasing all it's pent-up, evil, "come-and-get-me" power into the first promising thing to disturb it?
This same idea occurred to me as I was reading through the latest posts on this thread (and I've read all of them). I think there's something to this.

In 2460 (Third Age), the Appendix to LotR says that "Sauron returns with increased strength to Dol Guldur." In 2463, Deagol "finds" the Ring. And, as was also mentioned earlier, the Ring left Gollum in the Misty Mountains at the same time Sauron emerged from Mirkwood. Clearly, the Ring makes a strong effort in response to Sauron's energy. It would make sense that after over 2,000 years at the bottom of a river the Ring would exert a considerable influence since Sauron had moved out in the open.

I guess my intention with all of this is to emphasize that the question of who/how responded in what way to the Ring is an interesting and worthy question, but it is when we examine our assumptions about evil and Love that it becomes a matter of profound importance.

Peace.