View Single Post
Old 02-19-2003, 12:53 PM   #72
Dondagnirion
Wight

Dondagnirion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Dondagnirion
1420!

SaucepanMan:
Did Dwarves have any particular resistance, or would Gimli have succumbed? Bilbo's Dwarvish companions exhibit no particular desire for it, but then it was not at the height of its powers at that time.

The answer to that is quite simple. Gimli of course, could have succumbed. He would have succumbed because the ring does have somewhat of a degree of power over each and every race. You will remember the only thing in ME that it has absolutely no affect on is Tom Bombadil, and lets face it, NO ONE knows who or what he is at all. Gimli, however, would have without question been the last to succum to the rings power. My evidence to this effect is because each of the rings given to the dwarves were not specifically meant to govern their race but to give power to shape gold and craft jewelry, ETC. Since most of the power of the dwarven rings were devoted to the shaping of gold that was how the ring would have corrupted dwaves: through desire of gold. This would cause Gimli to have fallen last since it would have least effect on him. Some may argue the Legolas would have fallen last for somewhat the same reason (since the Elvish rings were moreso meant to heal hurts of the land than to govern elves and since Sauron never even directly touch the Elven rings and since he had no part in making them) this point is valid but is negated because when Sauron crafted the one ring he obviously had elves in mind knowing that they would be his biggest opponents in ME. This specific targeting of elves by the power of the ring is shown by the effect it had on Galadriel herself "I do not deny that my heart has greatly desired this." Since she was the greatest of the Noldor, equalled in greatness only be Faenor himself and being wiser (Faenor only being considered her equal because of his skill with weapons and crafts) her barely passing the test shows that Legolas would not nearly have the stuff to pass it being not even of Noldorin origin. Well, there is my arguement, let the logic-holes be pointed out ASAP please *grin*.

Dondagnirion
"There is no spoon."