View Single Post
Old 07-04-2004, 08:14 AM   #159
The X Phial
Shade of Carn Dûm

The X Phial has just left Hobbiton.
The group by his side was nearly half the population of the hillman village when Borgand raised his hand. It was clear there would be no more volunteers and those left in the middle of the courtyard were glaring at those next to the stairs with a smoldering anger. He cleared his throat to speak and felt the eyes of all upon him.

"Our new settlers honour us with their presence. It's clear we have much to learn from each other. I won't pretend to understand everything that's happened in the last day, but these people are under my protection now. They will work with us and learn our ways, and I hope they will teach us what they know of these lands and the people in it. I know there are other villages than this one represented here, but it's a start."

He focused on the hillman who had refused the offer. "As for the rest of you, all I ask of you is that you sign a treaty with us. We will leave you alone, and you will not attack us, nor join with others who do."

The older man who had nodded at Borgand stepped forward and looked at him now.

"They are leaderless. There is no chief among them to sign your treaty, even if they were willing."

Borgand frowned. "Then what do you suggest?"

"They will give their word, and they won't break it. We don't know your signing. For us, to say something is enough. It's not fancy, but it's our way." Then he stepped back and Borgand was left with the impression that he had just been spoken to as one would address a child. He shrugged it off and turned back to the remaining hillmen.

"Will you give your word or will you be driven from these lands?"

One by one, they stepped forward and gave their word...not to Borgand, but to the man the others had called Knife, who stood now next to the woman Kestrel. He buried his annoyance. If it suited them to give their word to this Knife, he would accept it. It was probably more likely to be binding that way anyway, he mused. The other settlers weren't pleased, but he stilled their protests at the slight with another wave of his hand.

When the oaths were done, the hillmen left, and none moved to follow them. Borgand looked at his newest charges...he had no idea what to do with them. He looked at the old man and then at the man named Knife.

"Find a place within the walls for yourselves. You can stay as a group or you can mingle with the others. I speak for all when I say no one will harm you. We are rebuilding the structures damaged yesterday and salvaging what we can of the building materials. Once you are settled you can join us in this activity."

He nodded at them and then addressed his own people.

"Back to work. We have a lot to do before the women and children return."

He caught Tane's eye and gave him the ghost of a smile before throwing himself back into creating order out of chaos.

~~~~TWO WEEKS LATER~~~~

By the time the women and children had returned to the settlement the rubble had been cleared and the public hall restarted. All over the settlement there had been tears of joys and sadness as loved ones were reunited..or discovered they would never meet again in this world. There had been so many questions, and too few answers.

Borgand looked at Illith as she stirred her cauldron and thanked the West that she had returned to him safely a little over a week before. Behind her, Bregand was playing a game of hide and seek with two small dark children. Flint and Rain were faster than he was, but he had a keen eye for finding them as they hid. Kestrel sat removed from the others, watching her children play but refusing the acknowledge either Borgand or Illith. There was still a lot of work to do.

The hillmen..or former hillmen..had created their own small community within the walls of the settlement, prefering to make huts rather than taking the tents offered by Borgand and his people. There had been some stir when news arrived of the death of a wolf..but whether this was an animal or a man seemed a little unclear. Even when asked directly, the hillmen would slide their eyes to the sides and answer simply "Wolf."

They prefered to keep to themselves, mostly. Hardly a direct word had been spoken between them and Borgand didn't know how long the uneasy silence would last. For now, he could but hope they would weather the storm. There were notable exceptions to the silence. Flint and Bregand had found each other at the lake 3 days ago and had insisted on playing together since. The other surprise had been the old man, who Bregand had learned was named Cleft. He had made it a point to visit Collothion and the two had exchanged stories and remedies, quickly falling into an argument over the best use for the herb starwort.

Suddenly, the sound of a shout broke Borgand's reverie. He stood as quickly as his one leg would allow and hurried to the wall after nodding to Illith. At his side were Calumdril's hunting knives. He had found he couldn't part with a small reminder of his friend, now properly entombed and mourned. He wondered what the Ithilien would have thought of his solution.

Borgand approached the walls and waited for a report. The dwarves, of all people, had raised the alarm. He looked to Barzun.

"What is it? What's happened?"

The dwarf smiled...a sight that shocked Borgand..and then quickly fell back into his gruff demeanor.

"Look for yourself, human." he said, as he pointed to the horizon and then wandered away, muttering about men and their need to be babied.

The ex soldier followed the dwarf's signal and saw a string of heavily laden carts approaching, just becoming visible as they crested the hill. He broke into a grin. Even from here it was clear what this must be. The stone for the city had arrived. With this shipment, he knew that there would be no turning back. For good or bad, Arnor would once again be the home of the Dunedain.

From this point on, Gondorian, Rohirrim, or Hillmen though they had been, they were the new Arnorians. It wouldn't be the same Arnor as the past, but they would make it their own. Together.