View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 08:07 AM   #72
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron the White View Post
The obvious area I was referencing was the money it made for the Tolkien Estate. ...
Given the written comments of JRRT and his want of money in his waning years, I am sure (had he lived) that he would have loved the increased royalties and it would have been hard to hate Jackson and his films the way some do today.
I don't know. This is a troubling comment. I think Tolkien would not have liked the sacrifice that it took to get that money. I can not imagine what I would think if I sold the rights to a book of mine and then later it was turned into a huge movie that, although it made me tons of money, destroyed the inner meaning of my story. I'm pretty emotional, I admit, but I think I'd be passionately angry and I'd want to throw the check back into the movie maker people's faces.

I don't think Tolkien would have laughed. And though he might not have hated Jackson (I don't hate Jackson myself), I don't think he would have loved him, either.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

-- Folwren