View Single Post
Old 11-06-2002, 12:41 PM   #405
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

***** DALE - Jarl *****

Jarl volunteered to retrieve another flagon of wine for the group as Al-Gareth pondered how to answer Urken's question. 'Two flagons, perhaps.' he murmured to himself, this might prove a long session as Urken and the Nurnian shared information.

It was hot in the common room from the press of too many bodies. Jarl picked his way across the room to the bar, only to be ignored by the too busy serving man. Through the window, Jarl saw the courtyard was less crowded, and he thought to step out to stretch his legs and catch a breath of clean, cool air.

The large tree to the side of the yard afforded some shade, and he leaned against its trunk for a moment. He glanced back in through the window toward the common room and smiled. Fuinur, had come up to the bar, and his mighty presence had not gone unnoticed by the serving man, who hurried to bring him three flagons of wine.

Fuinir, came to the doorway of the tavern, and raised the flagons in his hand, gesturing for Jarl to come back in. Jarl put up his hand, indicating that he wished to stay outside for a while. Fuinur grinned at him, then raised one flagon to his lips and drained it. Setting the empty vessel back on the bar, he carefully made his way back to the private room with the promised drinks.

As he stood beneath the shelter of the tree, Jarl heard voices, raised in snatches of song and laughter coming from round the bend in the street leading to the tavern. And there were two that sounded very familiar to him. He strode to the entry way of the courtyard and leaned on the weather beaten post which held the carved image of a leering Merman. He hailed the merry band of revellers as they neared.

'Girion, my Prince!' he said, giving the young man a slight bow as was the Dale custom. 'I should have guessed the King would send you to represent Dale.'

He clasped the other man's hand warmly, and shook his head, grinning. 'Bram! You old sea dog! What are you doing here?'

[ November 06, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]