View Single Post
Old 11-06-2002, 05:23 PM   #412
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

***** DALE - Jarl/Bram *****

He looked at how the young man held himself and how he put himself forth in words, and deferred to Bram if necessary. It was a pleasant surprise! The King had done well to place his son under the tutelage of the innkeeper. A half smile creased Jarl's face, remembering another young man whose character had been polished, the rough edges smoothed by the very same man.

He clapped Bram on the back, grinning back at him. 'Let us sit out here in this pleasant courtyard and drink to each other's health and safe journey.'

Bram called for ale to be brought and a few dusty bottles of Dorwinion wine. Jarl was introduced all around, and after a few pleasantries, he drew Bram aside.

'Has the King shared with you what he wishes presented tomorrow to Elessar? I know that Girion no doubt carries instructions, but I do not wish to appear too eager to present the proposition myself. I would like him to do it, as would his Father, But I need to be informed of details so that I may advise him as needed.'

From the leather pouch at his belt, Bram pulled a copy of Dale's propositions which Bard had sent him. He had read it many times, and now sat back as Jarl studied it carefully. He noted that Jarl re-read one section several times, rubbing his jawline as he did. 'What disturbs you?' he asked.

'Not disturbs,' returned Jarl, 'excites me.' He leaned in close to Bram and detailed a short history for him of the aborted trip to Nurn to secure certain new trading contracts, and the finding of Al-Gareth. Bram asked him several pointed questions to clarify parts of the story, then narrowed his eyes, saying 'If only we had this Nurnian here, we could perhaps present a united request to Elessar.'

'But that's just it!' said Jarl quietly. 'He is here. In a private room, speaking to the southron Kings that brought me here.' he went on then to tell Bram of his suspicions concerning Al-Gareth. That he was probably placed high in the ruling hierarchy of Nurn somehow, perhaps even as high as King, though Jarl had no confirmation of this as yet.

'And why have you left him to the ministrations of the southrons?' asked Bram. 'Fuinur I have heard of, a straightforward man, fond of life's pleasures. But Urken, now that is a shadowed name. A warrior-priest, is he not, an old hand at the high game of political intrigue.'

'Come with me.' said Jarl, an idea forming in his mind. 'Let me introduce you to my fellow travellers. I think we may be able to offer them an invaluable service if we play our cards correctly.' He leaned in close to Bram's ear and spoke quietly. Bram nodded his head in agreement, then rose and excused himself from his companions, telling them he would soon rejoin them.

The two made their way back to the room where the men of Harad, Umbar, and Nurn were. They paused at the door, listening to the flow of voices within.

They heard Urken's vow to Al-Gareth:

"Al-gareth, I acknowledge you as sovereign lord of Nurn, and pledge my wealth and honor to that goal. And my guild will support you to that end, down to the last warrior-priest."

And Al-Gareth's clear reply:

"I will take your allegiance and support as my own, and the guild which you represent."

They heard how Urken now brought Fuinur into the circle of support.

As the voices fell lower, into the rhythms of conversation, Jarl opened the door and entered with Bram following. The two Dalesmen approached Al-Gareth and bowed, then turned and bowed also to Fuinur and Urken.

'Gentlemen.' said Jarl standing back by Bram. 'This is my associate, Bram. We would like to extend to you the aid of Dale, if you will, so that you may accomplish what I believe you you intend to do. We heard what you have pledged, Urken, to Nurn's King, and we heard Nurn's reply. We, of Dale, would also like to support you in your rightful claim to the throne, asking only in return that we be allowed to trade with your country.' He turned to Urken and to Fuinur. 'And we would like to extend the same offer to you, if you would take it.'

'And what can you do for us now, Jarl of Dale and Bram?' came the deep, quiet voice of Urken, as he gazed speculatively at the two men.

Bram looked at Jarl and arched his eyebrows, deferring to him.

'I believe it is possible that we can offer you the ear of the King, mayhap this night, if we move quickly enough.'

[ November 07, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]