View Single Post
Old 11-07-2002, 09:18 AM   #421
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

***** DALE - Jarl *****

Jarl breathed a huge sigh of relief at the Minister's words. The King had agreed to see them! Already his mind was moving through lists of things that needed to be done before the meeting this evening. He and Bram took their leave of Isilmir, who asked that they both come to him after the General Audience tomorrow. Once the hubbub and panoply were over he told them, they would discuss the contracts in payment from Dale to Gondor for his services.

The two men hurried back to the inn. Bram had agreed to stay with the contingent he had brought, to act as their further guide as needed. Jarl would be picking up Prince Girion to bring him up to speed on the negotiations, and to have him represent Dale at this evening’s meeting with the King, with Jarl at his side to advise him.

He found the Prince in the courtyard with the others of his group. Stonehelm was in the midst of some rollicking story, and the laughter of the incredulous companions rang through the air. Jarl caught the Prince’s eye and motioned for him to leave the group and come speak with him.

Wiping tears of mirth from his eyes, Girion approached him. ‘You should have heard him, Jarl! Who knew that Dwarves could be such a daring and funny people!’

‘I’m glad that you are cementing such good friendships.’ commented Jarl. ‘They will stand you in good stead when you are King.’

He took Girion’s elbow and led him further from the group to a more private setting. The young man’s laughing countenance turned serious as Jarl gave him a brief background to the new ties now being formed between Dale and the men of the South, and apprised him of the state of politics within Nurn especially with respect to Al-Gareth.

There was a sharp intake of breath from Girion as he realized the path Al-Gareth had already taken and endured as he strove for the rightful rulership of his country. A shift in perspective took place within his mind, as he began to understand the depth of commitment a true King must take to see his country and people set on their best path.

When Jarl was done, Girion thanked him, and asked that he might meet the Men of Harad, Umbar, and Nurn. He would offer his own services and support, such as they were.

Jarl smiled at these words, and placed his arm on the younger man’s shoulder. ‘The King, your Father, would be very proud of you today.’

He led Girion within to meet and speak with the Southrons. In just a few short hours, then, it would be time to stand before the King.

Nevtalathiel's Post

Girion had been given just a few minutes to change his clothes before going to the small audience with Elessar. He wondered what he should wear. It was obvious he couldn’t wear any of the clothes he’d been travelling in; they were muddy, torn, and in the case of one pair of breeches, burnt through where the spider blood had hit them. He surveyed the clothes he had brought for the audience, but none of them seemed appropriate now; they were too gaudy, too ostentatious. He took out a hat with a feather in it and regarded it with disdain before tossing it
aside. What had been thinking when he had packed? He had wanted to impress the King, he remembered, to show that he too was royal, powerful, important.

He smiled ruefully at the memory of how naďve he had been to think the other leaders would judge him on his clothes. It would not be what he wore to the audience which would impress them, he now saw, but what he
said and how he said it. That was worrying him too, but unlike his clothes, there was little he could do about it.

He took a deep breath and hoped what he had to say would be acceptable; Jarl had given him a quick briefing, and he had been able to surprise him with the depth of knowledge he had absorbed from Bram. He knew all
that he could have learned in such a short time, but he was still not sure it was enough.

“Once upon a time,” He thought, “I would have been content that half of what I know now was too much.”

“And you would have been embarrassed when someone asked an obvious question you could not answer.” He replied to himself and knew that he was right; better to know too much than not enough.

He opened the door of his room to see Jarl waiting for him in the corridor.

“Sorry Jarl, I don’t have anything suitable to change into, this will have to do for now, and I’ll get some clothes washed before the audience proper.” Was all he said.

[ November 10, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]