View Single Post
Old 11-07-2002, 09:38 AM   #423
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

***** DALE – Jarl/Elessar *****

Jarl could sense the tension in the room as the men sat down. They drained the cups of wine that Elessar had poured for them, then Urken rose up from his chair as spokesman, to present their concerns. He delved briefly into the prophecies he had come across concerning the union of the Southern kingdoms, saying that he believed Al-Gareth to be the one spoken of in the verses. He told Elessar of the support, both military and monetary which he had offered to the King of Nurn.

Urken then nodded to Fuinur, who presented his country’s greetings to Elessar, saying that as King, he would be glad to look to Gondor as a new ally both politically and with regard to trade. ‘Harad and Umbar have already begun discussions with Dale and Nurn, for what will be a very lucrative and powerful trade alliance. We would be glad of Gondor’s support of it and participation in it.’ Last, he dealt with the commitments he had made to Nurn’s King to see him on the throne. Herumir followed suit, repeating much of what Fuinur had already detailed.

Then Girion rose to speak for Dale. Elessar noted how the young man fought his nervousness, and at a few soft spoken words from Jarl, regained his composure. The King turned his full attention to the fledgling King of Dale, and smiled to put him at his ease. The Prince gave his country’s greetings to the high King, then also spoke of their commitment to placing Al-Gareth on the throne of Nurn. Their troops were few, he noted, but the promised monies and political support would be in place as Al-Gareth needed them. He sat down once he had finished, and Jarl nodded to him that he had done well.

Last to stand before the King was Al-Gareth. The two men took the measure of each other, and neither found the other wanting. Al-Gareth spoke simply and briefly of his concern for his country and his people. He wished to bring Nurn to its rightful place among the Free Lands and Free Peoples of Middle-earth. They would be greatful, were Gondor to support them, but he would understand if Gondor’s concerns could not see their way to allow this at this time. He only asked that Gondor would not stand in his way as he sought the throne. He thanked Elessar for taking time to see him, then he sat back down, and sipped at the wine Fuinur had poured for him.

Elessar spread his hands on the table, and rose from his chair. He leaned toward the group gathered before him, and considered each one before he spoke.

‘I have heard each of you now, speak well and fully on this joint concern. It pleases me that you have laid aside your differences to unite for this. There will be a long, hard battle for this to happen. It will be fought on many fronts, and not just militarily. I fear it will be costly both in men, as well as monies, and may strain the relations with other countries who see the cause in the light of their own needs.’ He paused, and the room grew silent as the group held their breath awaiting his next thought. He chose his words carefully, looking at each of the countries representatives. His eyes came to rest at last on Al-Gareth.

‘You have my personal offer of support.’ he said clearly, ‘And the support of Gondor as well. I will meet with my Ministers tomorrow, early. And once the general Audience with all the countries is finished, we will be able to present to you all a detailed plan of how Gondor can give its aid.’

A collective murmur of appreciation and relief went up, and each rose and thanked the King once again for his time and his consideration. Then Elessar dismissed them, saying that he had other business to attend to that night.

It was a less tense group that made its way back to the Inn. Fuinur called out to the serving man as the entered the common room. ‘Drinks all around for myself, my friends, and all here. We’ve had a good night! It’s time to celebrate!’

‘Just keep a watch on your tongue!’ reminded Urken, downing a glass of spirits as he winked at Fuinur.

[ November 07, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]